Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Love Story - Part 1

Tami's Story

I can't believe I am sitting here in this dreary, plain white waiting room at two o'clock in the morning. We had such a wonderful evening celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary. But now, I find myself waiting, wondering if I will ever have the chance to speak to my beloved one more time.

Oh, I remember the first time I ever laid eyes on him. He was so handsome. He had the smile that would melt your heart. And his eyes, oh his eyes, they were like pure clear blue glass. And when he spoke, it was like the glorious waves crashing against the rocks on the seashore.

We were at our high school homecoming dance. He was a senior, and I was a junior. I had never seen him before. I thought I was familiar with everyone at school, but this night proved me wrong. I spotted him from across the room. He wore the sharpest suit. It was black like the nighttime sky, but shimmered like the sun. His tie matched his gray shirt perfectly as though they were made from the same material.

As I stood there admiring this handsome young man, he started to walk in my direction. Could this be my lucky day? Could this fine handsome man be coming to see me, a plain ordinary girl? He did indeed come to me, and he asked me to dance. I thought I was in a fairytale. I imagined myself as Cinderella and he as my prince. He took me by the hand and led me along the dance floor. With his other arm around my waist, he guided my every movement. We followed the rhythm of the music - not too fast, not too slow. He looked me in my eye - as if to say, "Trust me." As though he knew I didn't know the steps. I had never danced before that night. I was nervous and not sure if I was doing it right. But somehow I trusted him. Somehow knowing he wouldn't lead me wrong. Knowing that he had my best interest at heart. As we moved across the dance floor, I felt safe - safe in his arms. I had no need to worry; no need to fear. He led with perfect precision making sure I was able to follow. The movements were soft and beautiful mirroring a love one has for another. It seemed as though we danced forever. Little did I know then, that he and I would be dancing throughout our lives together. That night, not only was he my first dance partner, but he became my life partner.

It was five years later, when we were finally able to get married. The wedding was so beautiful and so very special. He wore a bright white tuxedo with a red bow tie and vest, and I wore a semi-fancy white wedding gown. The bridesmaids wore simple yet elegant red dresses while the groomsmen wore gray tuxedoes with the red bow ties and vests. Everything matched so perfectly. The music we chose celebrated not only our love for one another, but also our love for God. In fact, the whole ceremony was a celebration of mine and Conrad's love as well as God's love for us. It was such a special day for all of us who participated, and it was a day I will never forget.

During our reception, we were able to dance for the first time as husband and wife. It took me back to the first time we met during that high school homecoming dance. Dancing with Conrad on our wedding day was just as special if not more so as the first time we ever danced together. He took me by the hand and led me along the dance floor. With his other arm around my waist, he guided my every movement. We followed the rhythm of the music - not too fast, not too slow. He looked me in my eye - as if to say "Trust me." For he understood that this was all new to me. I had never danced as his wife before that day. I was nervous and not sure if I was going to do it right. But somehow I trusted him. Somehow knowing he wouldn't lead me wrong. Knowing that he had my best interest at heart. As we moved across the dance floor, I felt safe - safe in his arms. I had no need to worry; no need to fear. He led with perfect precision making sure I was able to follow. The movements were soft and beautiful mirroring the love he had for me. It seemed as though we danced forever. We have been dancing forever as husband and wife for the past twenty years.

These past twenty years as Conrad's wife has been so very wonderful. I have never loved someone as much as I love Conrad. He has taken care of me from the first day we met. He has put my needs above his own. He has showered me with great affection and with great admiration. My life has been complete by having Conrad as my dance and life partner. I am so blessed to have him in my life.

Last night, we celebrated twenty years of marriage. He took me to this fancy expensive restaurant. He wore a fine looking gray suit while I wore the beautiful blue dress he had bought for me. We had such a lovely time together. We talked about the first time we met. We talked about our wedding day and how special it was. We even took time to reflect on the days each of our three children were born. As we ate supper, we just spent time reflecting and reminiscing about our lives together. It was so special. After we arrived back home, he asked me to dance. I have been living in my fairytale for the past twenty-five years since Conrad and I first met. I have been his Cinderella, and he has been my prince. As the music started to play, he took me by the hand and led me along the dance floor. With his other arm around my waist, he guided my every movement. We followed the rhythm of the music - not too fast, not too slow. He looked me in my eye - as if to say "Trust me." I did trust him. In fact, I have been trusting him for the past twenty-five years. I know he would never lead me wrong. Knowing that he has had my best interest at heart. As we moved across the dance floor, I felt safe - safe in his arms. I had no need to worry; no need to fear. He led with perfect precision making sure I was able to follow. The movements were soft and beautiful mirroring the love he has for me. It seemed as though we danced forever.

As we finished our dance, Conrad collapsed into my arms. He stopped breathing, and I couldn't find his pulse. I called for an ambulance hoping and praying that they would arrive in time to save my beloved Conrad. I have been here at the hospital for the past hour or so waiting to hear something. Waiting to hear if I will dance with my beloved Conrad once again.

Well, the doctor just came to tell me the news. My beloved has gone home to be with the Lord. As I sit here, reflecting on our years together, I wonder how I will survive without my beloved. How will I continue to live without my true love? I've never done this before. I don't know how to live my life without Conrad...without my beloved. How, Lord, do I carry on? How do I move forward? How will I be able to do this?

He takes me by the hand and leads me along the dance floor. With his other arm around my waist, he guides my every movement. We follow the rhythm of the music - not too fast, not too slow. He looks me in my eye - as if to say, "Trust me." For he knows I don't know the steps. I've never danced before tonight. I'm nervous and not sure if I'm doing it right. But somehow I trust him. Somehow knowing he won't lead me wrong. Knowing that he has my best interest at heart. As we move across the dance floor, I feel safe - safe in his arms. I have no need to worry; no need to fear. He leads with perfect precision making sure I'm able to follow. The movements are soft and beautiful mirroring the love he has for me. It seems as though we dance forever. We will dance forever as my Heavenly Father takes my hand and leads me along the dance floor.


(Written 3/18/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment